Monday, April 16, 2012

spring blooms

One of my favorite things about this time of year in Alaska is collecting the twigs about to burst into bloom with leaves and berries. Two of the types I like best are pussy willows and blueberries.

Pussy willows, are so fabulous because you can collect them in the spring and keep them all year! In order to preserve them, I never put them in water. I bring them home and put them in dry vases. I love them in these silver vases that were my grandmother's, but they are great in a mason jar too!


Blueberries have the most lovely bell shaped pink blossoms. This year, with all the amazing weather we've had the last few weeks, the blueberries are already in bloom! I usually like to collect them and let them bloom in the house, before they get any leaves, but I didn't get there this year. They were all in bloom by the time I went collecting. They are gorgeous in the antique glass vase my mom recently sent me. These do need lots of water so they last as long as possible.


So, if you haven't done it yet, it's time to go twig collecting. There are so many lovely ones out there right now! They make for fabulous decor inside and out. Happy gathering :)

Photos via tidbits

No comments:

Post a Comment