Wednesday, August 17, 2011

a useful DIY

As you know, I love chalk boards and chalk board paint. I had been trying to figure out a way to manage my overflowing spice drawer where we keep all our spices that are not on the magnetized rack on the wall, as it was getting quite out of hand. I thought of my favorite thing - chalk board paint! It was an easy project and now things are so much easier to find. I think I will definitely make some more. AND I learned (thanks to my brilliant husband) that chalkboard paint comes in spray cans, making this project much easier and likely come out better, as I am not sure the brush would have had the same smooth final effect. Anyway, here's what you do:

1. Pick out jars that will fit in your drawer (or spice rack).
2. Prime them with two layers of primer made to stick to metal surfaces.
3. Paint them with two layers of chalk board paint. I used spray paint and let them dry for 24hrs in between.
4. Fill with your spices and label with your favorite color chalk (I used white cause that was all we had and someone with better handwriting surely could make them much prettier than mine).
5. Feel stoked that your spice drawer is no longer a disaster!

Here are some photos of my project...





No comments:

Post a Comment