Monday, August 29, 2011

a long walk

So, as some of you already know, Rosie and I spent part of last week camping at the Fred's Creek cabin and hiking the Mt. Edgecumbe trail. The trail is 14 miles round trip and the goal is to reach the summit of Mt. Edgecumbe volcano (which is inactive of course). We did it in one day, spending the night before and the night after at the cabin. The trail wanders through some beautiful country on the way there. For both Rosie and I, this was our longest hike ever. It felt good to reach the top, although I apologize I have no good photos of the top and the one I have of the beginning of climbing the summit is not great, it was so windy it was hard to keep the camera still. A camera malfunction, followed by freezing cold fingers due to heavy and cold winds at the top, kept me from getting any summit pictures beyond that of peoples feet (which do make me laugh very hard). Nonetheless we all made it up. Rosie walked about 13 of the 14 miles. My friend Joan scooped her up for a bit, as did I in my pack. But neither of those were by her choice, she would have gone the whole way, I am quite sure. However, a couple of breaks were probably a good thing for her tiny legs. Here are few photos of our trip.


Rosie with Mt. Edgecumbe behind her.


The beginning of the longest .6 miles stretch of a hike ever. This is where the wind started to really blow and it got very cold. Note Rosie, hunkering down. I think this part was easier for her than for us. But she was cold at the top, and when we all got our extra clothes on, she got a coat too. That and a leash, so she wouldn't be blown away.


The alpine vegetation was lovely.


Rosie was not too thrilled about getting off the trail for a bit, but she did take a good snooze in my pack before she wanted to get her feet back on the ground.


A successful crew, about three miles from the cabin. Mt. Edgecumbe in the background.


My tiniest, furriest, most amazing little friend, all tuckered out from a very big day. So glad she came along and so glad she is a part of my life every day. I could not be more thankful.

1 comment: